By Matt Horwood (UK)
Since I was a little boy, there are two integral attributes my parents have encouraged me to embody: good manners, and the ability to stand up for myself and what I believe in.
It is more than possible to bring the two together: if something is wrong with your food at a restaurant, you ask for it to be sent back. You do it with manners and good grace, but biting one's lip and accepting something that is below an acceptable standard is not a good way to abide by life.
Whilst I would never describe myself as a martyr, an activist or someone who would ever want to 'lead a cause', I have learned a lot about myself and the importance of a voice in the last year. After three years of being your typical lazy student, doing things by halves and having a "whatever" attitude to most of my surroundings, I began to get a taste for the 'real world' and the meaning of a cause. Working for a magazine like VIVA, where I have been able to attend line launches, charity events and interview interesting people has taught me that to get something done, you have to speak out. As acting Press Officer for Manchester Pride - a huge festival and charity organisation celebrating the culture and life of LGBT people - this has only been exaggerated further. And, more than ever, this latter position has made me more proud than ever of who I am - gay or not, there really is nothing to be ashamed of (and I shouldn't need to even make that clear).
That is why I have decided to pursue - as far as I can - an incident that happened to me early this evening after work. I am not pursuing it because I have nothing better to do, nor because I am interested in any kind of "free vouchers", but because it's important to speak out. If there are one hundred and one individuals who behave in the way that the man I am about to type about does - homophobic, bullyish and backward - then I hope that there are at least some of us willing to express our disgust and disbelief at it.
Read more at today made me think...
No comments :
Post a Comment