Tuesday, March 12, 2013

COMMENT: President Clinton is wrong about the history of DOMA




By Elizabeth Birch

Last week, following President Bill Clinton’s op ed in which he shared his perspective that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was unconstitutional, I wrote a piece for the Huffington Post piece expressing disappointment that he had not been more reflective about his decision to support and sign DOMA into law in 1996.

I simply wanted President Clinton to say that he was wrong and that he was sorry.

My thoughts apparently stuck a chord, and I have heard from a number of people echoing the same sentiment.

It is not easy challenging the reasoning of a former President, especially one that is so —- well, verbally gifted — and especially when he is now trying to do our community a favor. But I think it is essential for LGBT people, especially the young, to know the true details of our history, even if to many of us 1996 seems like yesterday.

Continue reading...



No comments :

Post a Comment