Wednesday, March 21, 2012

School Takes Down Pro-Gay Mural

This is an open letter written to GSA by a high school student.

My name is Melissa. I'm a sixteen year old student at Brick Memorial High School, and I've been forced out of my education.

In an attempt to promote equality, which is what our school supposedly stands for, my friend and I decided to paint a mural. This mural stated "Be Original, Be Yourself." We got it approved and started right to work.

A few weeks later, my partner and I were painting and she said, "This mural is missing something." So she went to the principal, Dr. Richard Caldes and requested to change the wording.

In a rush, without free time, he said "Yeah that's fine." and rushed away. I'm not sure if he realized or not, but he approved the phrase, "Love is Love." and the symbols of the sexualities surrounded it.

That's when things went wrong.

A few weeks later, Dr. C received complaints from a few allegedly offended students and teachers. He asked us to simply take down the symbols. And then her different styled hair. And then her different clothes. By the end of their session, she was just another stereotypical girl who didn't make sense to our cause. That's when we got mad.

We got a petition signed by 330 students saying to keep it up. After THY was ignored, we wrote letters to the school district and the super intendant. Once again— ignored. Finally, we were pushed to our last resort. We protested.

Over thirty children came into the hallway where the mural was painted. We stood quietly and said not a word. Our first vice principal, Mr. Panuska, came to us and told us to move. We did not. The Mr. Nubile, who was more aggressive came to us and told us to move.

We very calmly explained our cause and then we silenced. First we were threatened with suspension. No one moved. Then— we were threatened with police and violence. Most students cleared out, but my partner and I stayed. Because we stood up for what we feel, we've been suspended for a week. Our school does block scheduling, and now I'm going to miss out on two weeks of education.

P. S. - They spray painted our mural, right infront of our faces. How cruel can humanity get?

The students have posted a VIDEO:




 



No comments :

Post a Comment