Thursday, September 29, 2011

Opinion: The Fate Of Gay News Sites And Blogs

By Karen Ocamb

My friend David Badash - who I've only met via email - has written a terrific piece about the fate of LGBT news sites and blogs. He's jumping off a piece by Nikki Usher in the Harvard journalism site entitled "How niche is too niche? The case of gay news blogs."

For his piece - Gay News Sites: Will Your Favorite Still Be There Next Year? - David has collected comments from Usher, The Bilerico Project's Bil Browning, Pam Spaulding of Pam's House Blend on Firedoglake, Human Rights Campaign's Fred Sainz, Out magazine co-founder and Towleroad partner Michael Goff, AMERICABlog's John Aravosis, 365.com's Jennifer Vanesco, Paul Canning of LGBT Asylum News - and me. As some of you might suspect, I didn't stick with just a quote - I wrote something of a quick mini-history that David's going to post with me as a guest blogger tomorrow. But here's the quote he pulled for his piece:

"I would not be able to pay the rent if I only blogged at LGBT POV. I have Google AdSense?-?but frankly, the ads are whatever Google sends down the pike?-?including ads for Rand Paul's tax plan. I have two friends who volunteer to help me and we've blocked some of the more atrocious ads. But for the most part, the ads only bring in "pennies." Like other bloggers, I have seriously considered crashing LGBT POV because I am so frustrated at not having the time to do the kinds of pieces I want to do?-?which is why I started the blog?--?while also covering news and writing for my main job and blogging there, as well. Let's just say I carry a packet of Low Dose Aspirin wherever I go."
Read more at The Bilerico Project...

No comments :

Post a Comment